Saturday, May 12, 2012

And Let the Tapering Begin!!!

This week was the highest mileage of the entire training program and it was a surprisingly good week.   According to map my run, my Nike app is back to being accurate, so that has helped.   I had to switch my days around due to childcare scheduling, so I ended up doing my long run on Monday.   I really enjoyed getting the long one over with.   I was very pleased with my performance on my last 20 miler.   The pace was faster than my previous long runs have been (avg: 9:19).   I was tired by the end though.   So tired that I wouldn't let myself consider that race day I am planning on running 6 more miles at significanly faster pace.    My legs ached a little the rest of the day, but I wasn't tired or sore at all the following day so I take that as a good sign.   Here are the splits:
9:34
9:24
9:27
9:01
9:05
9:16
9:09
9:00
9:11
9:12
9:22
10:28 (left my gps running when I took a walk break to text.)
9:08
9:15
9:22
9:16
9:12
9:03
9:04
9:04 

Tuesday was an off day followed by a 10 mile pace run on Wednesday.   I had to take Susannah with me, so we cut it a little short....we did 9.4 miles.   I was able to maintain a pretty steady pace, but I have to admit that the idea of holding that pace for another 16.8 miles seemed extremely daunting.   I told myself that was because I had run 20 miles 48 hours earlier.   I'm praying that the three week taper I'm about to start will result in legs that are fresh enough to maintain the magic 8:31 pace for all 26.2 miles.   Here are the splits:
8:31 (nice start)
8:17
8:24
8:20
8:47 (I think this was slower because this was the turnaround mile and I took us over some bumpy driveways.  Also, I was probably unwrapping a granola bar or a piece of cheese for my hungry running partner.)
8:24
8:27
8:36
8:35
Avg. pace 8:28    Oh how awesome would it be if this could be my avg pace on race day????   Let us pray.......
I was so proud of my little running buddy and her good stroller behavior, that we stopped at the park on our way home. She had a ball:




Thursday was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo run.   I opted to cut it short in favor of being on time to bible study.   It was definitely a good decision.   The 5 miles I did complete were a little tough.....my legs didn't want to run fast.   But I was proud of myself for pushing through and getting into the 7's for mile 4.  
9:13
8:38
8:08
7:53
8:45

Friday was an easy 7 mile run.   I was expecting to drag after how I felt on Thursday, but I actually felt really good.  It is amazing how much more fun it is to run when you aren't pressuring yourself to hit certain paces.  I was having so much fun that I ended up running a little too fast for an easy day.   Definitely a problem I like to have.....running too fast.  :)
8:51
9:01
8:42
8:55
8:59
8:49
8:54

Today, Saturday, I did 8x800 repeats.   My friend Brittany came with me which helped so much.   Susannah was really patient and well behaved too.   And it was sunny with a cool breeze.   And my legs felt shockingly fresh.   All in all, a perfect morning.   I'm supposed to run my 800's in between 3:29-3:39.   I stayed in this range for every repeat except one, which I did faster, not slower.  :)
3:33
3:32
3:34
3:33
3:34
3:27 (this fast time is thanks to an older man who raced me and won.   And he wasn't doing repeats....he was just out for a jog.   Was at least 50 years old and wasn't even breathing hard.   Definitely a piece of humble pie for me.   He wasn't pushing a stroller though.)
3:36
3:34

And that concludes the peak week of my training for the Ojai to Ocean Marathon.    45 miles done!!

PS.   I went to one of those running stores that takes video of you on the treadmill and tells you your shoe type and correct size.   I was shocked to learn that my trusty Asics 2100 series stability shoes that I've been wearing since my very first marthon back in 2006 are completely wrong for my feet.  I bought some Asics Gel Nimbus 13s which are neutral cushioned and they are so amazingly comfortable.....like running on a really supportive pillow.   LOVE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment