Friday, May 4, 2012

1 week until taper begins!!!

This was a great week running wise, but a frustrating one technology wise.   I've become pretty dependent on my nikeplus app to keep track of my mileage and pacing and this week it has been acting crazy.   It has been giving me different mile markers than normal and really throwing me off.   So I've been required to use map my run to verify my mileage.   Then I use crazy math to try and figure out how off my pace report was on nikeplus.   So, to say the least, my splits for this week may be a little inaccurate.   I'm trying not to freak out with worry that I'm completely off base with my pacing goals for the race.   Saying lots and lots of prayers that God remind me that this is for fun and all I need to do is my best.   But then my brain wants to remind God that to do my best, I need to be able to pace appropriately.  And so goes the anxiety treadmill that is my mind.   Good times.  

Anyway, like I said early, this week has actually been a good running week.   Felt pretty strong and completed all of the scheduled mileage.   I do have to confess though that I'm super excited about starting the taper after next week.   It seems to be more mental than physical, but I've been feeling pretty worn out by the demands of this training schedule.   I love it, but I'm tired by it at the same time.  I'm really looking forward to June when I can do some strength training and just go for a jog without any prescribed distance or pace or purpose other than to have fun. 

Monday was a 7 mile tempo run.   This was one of the screwy GPS days, so these splits are questionable at best, but here they are regardless:
9:05
8:25
7:55
7:08
8:09
9:04
9:06
Fingers crossed that these are accurate because they are pretty strong numbers.

Tuesday was an easy 5 miler.  Avg. pace 9:10

Wednesday was a fall back week with a 12 miler.   Felt tired at the end, but still managed to run negative splits towards the end.   I didn't mean to speed up so much so I'm taking that as a good sign.  
8:45
9:28
9:24
9:42
9:45
9:36
9:36
9:21
9:47
9:02
8:48
8:40

Thursday was an off day.   Then today, Friday, I did a 7 mile run with 5 miles at race pace.   Race pace is 8:31.   I tried my best, but am not very pleased with my consistency.   Or I should probably say lack of consistency.
9:19
8:28
8:05
8:32
8:09
8:50
8:59

I'm going to keep focusing on race pace in these remaining 4 weeks until race day.   Definitely not there yet.  I feel like I have the fitness and endurance levels to break 3:45, but I need confidence in the pacing department.   Without it, I'm scared I'm going to psych myself out during the race.   We shall see.......

Happy Running everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment