Saturday, May 19, 2012

2 weeks out......Am I ready?

This week was my first of 3 tapering weeks.   It was perfect timing too because Peter came home on Thursday, so I was able to use my left over time and energy for homecoming preparations and activities.   I felt good all week and enjoyed the four runs I did this week.

Monday was a 7 mile tempo run.   Felt good even though we started later than usual (because I spent the whole morning cleaning out and reorganizing Susannah's closet and drawers) and the sun was blazing.   It was a perfectly executed tempo run.......just wish the splits had been a little faster at each mile.   Still pleased overall though:
9:12
9:06
8:34
7:42
8:41
8:59
9:27

Tuesday was supposed to be 6 x hill repeats which we usually do at Balboa park, but I decided to improvise and stay on the island for this workout because my to-do list was long, it was my birthday, and I was lacking my hill running partner.   So Susannah and I ran up and down the little bitty hill behind our house (probably 100 yards) 12 times without stopping for rest.   Then we jogged 3/4 mile to the playground and played.   Then jogged back.   I felt like this was a pretty solid alternative to our normal hill workout.   It was a good morning.   Happy 31st birthday to me.

Wednesday was a 7 miler with 4 miles at pace.   My plan was to warm up on mile 1, run an 8:31 for miles 2-5 and let miles 6-7 be a cooldown.  Unfortunately, I'm not too pleased with the consistancy on this run......it definitely reinforced my fear that I don't know what my 8:31 race pace feels like.   With only 2 weeks left of training, I think prayer is probably my best hope for good pace management on race day.  ;)
8:59
8:07
8:08
8:24
8:34
9:09
9:06

I took Thursday and Friday off and then today did a 12 miler.   It definitely wasn't the best run training-wise, but it was lots of fun and I am happy with my decision to make it a family event.  I did the first 5 miles by myself  and the last 7 with Peter and Susannah.    After an ipod malfunction and a unexpected meeting with a friend, I was running super late so I ended up running the first 5 way too fast.   It ended up okay because we took our time on the family 7 miler, and even stopped at the playground at mile 5.   My legs definitely feel more tired than they probably should after 12 though.   Here are the ridiculous splits:
8:29
8:10
8:35
8:15
8:06
10:13
10:23
10:36
10:00
9:48
9:45
10:14

Next two weeks are even easier and then comes the big day.....Ojai to Ocean Marathon, June 3rd 6:00 am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment