Thursday, February 19, 2009

Running for a Cause

Sorry about the week and a half of silence.   Don't worry, I didn't take a break from running, just a break from blogging about running.    But, I'm back and ready to keep you posted on the training events of the last 4 (only 4?  gulp!!) weeks until the marathon.   I actually have two solid reasons for my absence over the last 10 days.    Last weekend, I ran the Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville, Fl and in preparation for that, the weekend before, I did a very short and fun 7 mile easy run.   Last week before the marathon, I tried to take it easy, only running 2 easy five milers.    So, I was busy preparing for my trip, and my runs were not very exciting, so I thought I would spare you the repetitive posts.  I did sneak in a tempo run though--7 total miles with 5 being at an 8:15.  I could have posted something about it, but I will just plead plain ol' laziness in regards to my lack of post on that run.  It was a nice tread-mill work-out and I finished feeling really good.   I knew I would be running the Breast Cancer Marathon slowly, so I figured I should push through with my scheduled speed-work....despite the lovely sirens of the taper whispering in my ear that I deserved a break.    

The National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer is very young.   This year was the second annual event and it is amazing.    A local news anchor/cancer survivor/runner started the race and it is unique because 100% of the profits go to cancer research or to treatment of financially struggling patients.   It is such a hopeful event because so many people are running specifically for somebody in their own life.    And the absolute best part is the survivors division.    There are special awards and shirts for the runners who have survived the disease.   The majority of runners are not die-hard runners.    They are there to replace the feeling of helplessness that comes with the disease and put hope and action in its place.   

Last year, I paced the 5 hours group and it was by far my favorite race experience ever.   So, when the race director asked for pacers again this year, I was one of the first to sign up.   This year was extra special because my running partner of the last 3 years came into town from Memphis to run with me.   She and I trained together for several races (including our first marathons) while we lived in Jacksonville, but we are both married to Navy Pilots and are currently enduring our first training program without each other right now.   So, it was awesome to be able to reunite in Jacksonville to  pace together.   Two of my other running friends did part of the course with us as well and it could not have been more fun.  

Part of the race is on the beach, which I love.   Yes, a little sand does get in your shoes, but it is 100% worth it to see the ocean and feel the sea breeze.   People were cheering from the hotel balconies  and every 100 yards or so, big signs were set up with an encouraging word......hope, love, determination, faith.   These signs were at the expo and people had signed them with dedications for family members and friends.   At the risk of sounding really sappy, these signs really were a source of strength during the run.   Unfortunately, the beach part of the run is in between miles 4-8, instead of mile 20-24 when the signs really could have provided an added boost.   

The crowd support in this race is spuratic, but really awesome.    The run winds through some of the most unique and beautiful neighborhoods in the beaches community of Jacksonville, and the home-owners were so so supportive.   My favorite parts of the race were definitely the big front-yard parties (one family even had a bouncy house for the kids), complete with beer, food, and huge speakers blaring awesome songs like "Love Shack".    A couple of these parties were giving out frozen ice pops which are such a welcome treat at mile 15 or 17 as the Jacksonville sun was started to cook the course!   

I felt great the entire time, which was really encouraging.  But I think the best part of being a pacer is that I don't have time or energy to focus on my own pain because I have to concentrate on the pace and keeping my group going.   Shannon and I definitely deserved the award for most obnoxious pacers because around mile 20 when the going started getting really tough for some of our runners, we started in with the corny jokes and stupid antics that we hoped would be a big enough distraction to keep them going.   Some of our jokes were met with silence and even frowns......some of the runners were not fans.    Our goal was to drown out the sound of screams from their quads with our silliness, and I think it was a pretty effective strategy,  because after the race, they were all super happy that they came in before there goal time.   Shannon and I crossed at 5:00:02......we would have been on the money to the second, but we were waving at the crowd and slowed down too much at the finish.   We tried to sprint the last 10 yards, but we didn't quite make it.   Last year I was under by a few seconds, so I think I'll go by the average of the two to find my accuracy rate as a pacer.  :) All in all, the entire weekend was exactly what I expected:  amazing and I feel extremely blessed to have been a part of it.  

Now, I have just 4 short weeks until I get to do it again, hopefully an entire hour faster!     

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder of why marathon running is so great! I'm SO glad you had a great experience again — your runners were lucky to have you, corny antics and all!

    ReplyDelete