Friday, February 6, 2009

The Joy of Mile Repeats

My training schedule is pretty simple.   Four runs a week, including a long run, a speed work-out, and two easy runs.   I recommend this because it prevents burn-out by giving you three days off each week.   This week my speed work-out was awesome.    My training plan has me doing more tempo runs and less mile repeats,  which I normally like because I am a huge wimp about running fast.   But, this time it has been different and I find myself looking forward to the mile repeats.    Weird, huh?   Anyway, the weather on Sunday was short-lived so I was back on the tread-mill for this one.   I was a little concerned about the boredom factor because I had to run 8 miles total.   But I brought along my trusty mp3 player and let "Standing Outside the Fire", "She's a Maniac", and "The Eye of the Tiger" carry  my through.   The work-out started with an easy mile warm-up.   Then I did 4 x 1 mile repeats with an 800 walk/jog in between each.    I walk for a minute after each repeat then finish the 800 at a jog that slowly builds back to a 7:45 pace for the next repeat.    My schedule called for a 8:00 pace, but I was feeling inspired, so I did them all between 7:30 and 7:50, with the last one being the fastest.    

Needless to say, I left the gym feeling great.   Based on my work-outs so far, I'm starting to feel that my 4 hour goal may actually be achievable for the National Marathon.   We'll see in 6 weeks!   Hope everybody takes a run to enjoy the sunshine this weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment