Friday, February 6, 2009

Fun in the Sun

Well, while my last post was all about the snow, thankfully, this week I get to describe my long run in the spring-like weather last Sunday.   It was lovely because it was the first time I had run without leggings, ear-warmers, and mittens.    It felt to so good to feel the air on my skin without it stinging and chapping my skin!  (By the way......I have a tip for the skin chapping issue......I have found that if I put body glide on my cheeks, nose, and chin before a cold, windy run, it works as a barrier for a little while.)   But, as I was saying, last Sunday was gloriously sunny and 55 degrees so I was body glide free and loving it! 

I needed to run 16 miles, so I modified my typical long run loop, starting in Rosslyn, running down the Mt. Vernon trail to the Arlington Memorial Bridge.    After crossing the Potomac, I headed along the river to the FDR Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial.  The wind was pretty strong along the river, but I didn't care because it was warm wind!   I had never seen the FDR Memorial, so I took a walk break and checked it out.    It was extremely cool and so many of his memorialized words that are on display seemed to be speaking specifically to the country right now.    Like I have said before, the best part of being a runner is all the cool stuff that you happen upon during your work-outs.  

I continued on to the Jefferson Memorial which is so beautiful and provides such awesome views of the rest of the mall across the river.   I headed back to Lincoln, then ran down the mall towards the Capital.   Of course, the Mall was packed with people coming out of winter hibernation to enjoy the warm sun.   Unfortunately, the mix of melting snow and ice and the 4 million feet that tromped around during the inauguration, the mall is a mess.    I usually run on the gravel, sandy paths that run along the mall, but I had to use the paved sidewalks Sunday because the mud was everywhere.   

I usually take a gel and get some water in the bathroom at the ticket stand for the Washington Monument.   But it was closed for cleaning.....(why are they cleaning this thing in the middle of the first sunny afternoon in weeks?)   I was irritated for maybe 5 seconds, but as soon as I looked up and saw the Capital ahead with the blue sky as a back-drop, I dropped my attitude and headed to my plan B, which is the Smithsonian Information Center.    They have a nice, big, clean bathroom so it is a great place to take a gel and get some water.    On the topic of water, I am perplexed every time I run on the mall that none of the water fountains work.   Does anyone know why this is?    It makes me crazy because if I'm thirsty, my hopes go up every 200 yards or so and then they are quickly dashed when I try each fountain unsuccessfully.   As I find more water stops around town, I will post them.

I ran up Capital Hill (ouch, that's the one tough part of running in DC)  and around to the Supreme Court and Library of Congress.    Then I headed back on the other side of the mall towards the White House.    I received a happy surprise when my husband called to say that he had run down to meet me.    So, we met on 15th and finished the run through Georgetown along the river and back across the Key Bridge.   It was over-all a wonderful run.   This weekend is supposed to be equally beautiful so I plan on running both Saturday and Sunday.    (Short runs because I am in taper mode for the Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville next weekend.)   Isn't tapering so fun?      

No comments:

Post a Comment