Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A bumpy fall back week

This week is supposed to be an easy week with a 10 mile long run and no added mileage for the other weekly runs.   And it is a good thing considering the week we have had so far.   Monday's run was supposed to be 7 mile pace run.    By mile three though, I knew I was way too fast, and since I was feeling good, decided to make a mid-run change and call it my 60 minute tempo run instead.  (I was planning on doing the tempo the following day.)    I felt good the whole time.   Definitely a confidence building run.   Here are the splits:
Mile 1: 8:44
Mile 2: 8:00
Mile 3: 8:04
Mile 4: 7:31
Mile 5:  8:21
Mile 6: 8:19
Mile 7: 8:48

I was looking forward to a 7 mile pace run on Tuesday since I had already gotten my tempo run for the week out of the way.   Unfortunately, Susannah did not react well to her 3 vaccination shots on Monday afternoon, so we were up most of Monday night with fever.   I made a mid-run pitstop at Rite Aid and ended up cutting the run short.   So my 7 mile pace run became a 4.25 mile run.   (avg pace 8:43)   It was windy and cold and Susannah and I both felt tired and yucky.   I could hear Hal Higdon's voice (Not really....I've never heard his voice.....probably more accurate to say I could see the words on his website.) saying "It is better to do less than more.   Always ere on the side of taking it too easy."   So I feel good about my decision not to push it.  

Today was my 10 mile run.   Susannah's Wednesday play date was cancelled because her friend was sick, so that meant that I was doing my 10 miler with the stroller.   It was a beautiful sunny morning and we were both feeling much better after a good night's sleep.   I felt good and was happy to hear that my "easy pace" was in the low 9 minute mile range.   For long runs I do an out and back down the silver strand bike path that connects Imperial Beach to Coronado.   There is almost always a headwind on the way back to Coronado, but today it was pretty strong.   And the stroller canopy acts as a parachute so the run back was significantly more difficult.   I still felt perfectly fine, but my speed was obviously affected by the wind.   As evidenced by these splits:

Mile 1: 9:41
Mile 2: 9:03
Mile 3: 9:03
Mile 4: 9:00
Mile 5: 8:55
Mile 6: 9:06
Mile 7: 9:26
Mile 8: 9:22
Mile 9: 9:39
Mile 10: 9:25

After looking at these splits, I've decided to start praying now for a non-windy race day. Thankful for all these stroller runs though, because I know they are making me stronger. Susannah was such a good sport too. She brought her baby doll along and only threw her out of the stroller once. I thought I would share a couple of photos of the views I enjoy on my long runs every Wednesday.....I can't imagine a more beautiful place to train.


The mountain backed bay on one side......

 And the beautiful Pacific on the other.   Perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment