Thursday, January 15, 2009

Music Makes All the Difference

This week, my speed work-out was a 6 mile tempo run---one mile warm-up, 4 at a 8:30 pace, and a one mile cool-down.   Fortunately, this one went much, much better than last week's work out.  I braved the tread-mill again because it seemed to be a better option than the polar temps that are currently plaguing the country.  It was a great work-out:  I was motivated, energized, and barely breathing hard.   Even during the cool-down, I kicked it back up to 7 miles per hour because I felt that good.   

What, you may ask, caused this drastic change in attitude and performance?   The answer is music.  Instead of bringing headphones and watching one of the five TV's, I brought my trusty mp3 player.   This thing has been with me in three marathons, two half-marathons, and three 15-ks.   It is full of close to 4 hours of the most wonderful mix of songs.....I have 80's rock, old-school country, old-school rock, some slow ballads, even some christian praise songs from my church.   All the songs mean something to me and they are all inspirational in there own way.   I haven't changed the play-list in over 3 years, which may sound crazy to some of you.    But I rarely run with it so the songs are yet to lose their appeal.  I enjoy listening to the sounds of the neighborhood when I am running outside and, of course, as a women running alone in DC, I need my ears to listen for the attacker that is sure to be around the next corner.   Therefore, my beloved play-list was a wonderful boost.   

I felt so good that I actually ran the four fast miles at an 8 minute pace instead of an 8:30.   I left the gym feeling really proud and pumped for my 20 miler that is scheduled for Saturday morning.   Yes, I am referring to the saturday morning that is predicted to be the coldest morning of the season.    I am going to run on a trail, so hopefully the trees will block the wind.  And my husband is going to bike beside me, adding encouragement and inspiration.   Hopefully I won't be too sore to walk to the concert Sunday night.   I'll keep you posted.   Happy Inauguration!   

No comments:

Post a Comment